Thursday, June 14, 2012

a favorite verse


I love the fact that one simple sentence can give such a complex summary of the gospel message. In college, this verse became one of my favorites, and it has recently been running through my mind on repeat. It's nothing I can do for myself, just the love of Jesus that drove him to sacrifice his very life to save me. As I expressed yesterday, my heart has been aching for those who go through sorrow and suffering without the secure foundation of the love of Jesus to anchor them in the storm.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to write with the lovely Sarah MacIntosh, and the song we ended up writing was based on this concept. She read me a passage in Hebrews as we discussed our thoughts and ideas for the song, and I felt that it so perfectly described the way I've been feeling about who Jesus is willing to be for us. 

"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf..." 
Hebrews 6:19-20
I think the book of Hebrews is so faith-affirming! Sidenote: I am inspired by how many of my cowriters are obviously truly and deeply passionate about God's word and his work in their lives. There are some great people contributing to the music industry right now.

I'd love to hear what passages in scripture are on your heart and mind these days! Are there any favorites that have stuck with you over the years, or do you find it hard to choose?

0 comments:

Post a Comment