Thursday, May 24, 2012

across the spaces


A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God was one of the first books I read that really seemed to make an impact on my faith. I devoured it quickly, looking up words I wasn't familiar with, underlining favorite passages, and making notes in the margin. How easily I forget that my life is a pursuit of the one who made me, loves me, and wants to make me more like Him!

The last year or so has been an extremely busy time for our little family. As things change, and ultimately, grow, we recognize that we are in a season of intense labor. There is much to be done, and usually the task is delegated to either Jordan or me, as we have not hired many people (yet!) to help us with our business. As God provides, we are determined to work hard and make the most of the life we have been given. However, it can easily be that I am so caught up in the daily to-do list that I neglect the intimacy of my relationship with Jesus Christ. This quote is a precious reminder that God is right where we need him. We don't worship a man-made idol or historical figure, we worship a living God who knows us inside and out‑better than we are able to know ourselves!

That brings me immense joy and comfort during a time I often feel exhausted and like my busy schedule might overtake me at any moment! Somehow, knowing God is near also allows me to take a step back and focus on the little moments that could easily pass me by‐playing and pretending with Lorelei, laughing and joking with Jordan, savoring the conversation of people I don't often see or get to talk with. It may be popularly espoused within Christian circles, but I truly do find that when my priority is first and foremost my relationship with God, everything else has a way of coming together underneath the umbrella of His grace.

How do you combat the hectic schedules and endless to-do lists? Does it get better as you grow older or do we just gain more wisdom to cope with the craziness? I hope you're finding God to be near, even in the most chaotic of moments!

1 comment:

  1. 'I truly do find that when my priority is first and foremost my relationship with God, everything else has a way of coming together underneath the umbrella of His grace.'

    I loved that line. Thanks Jessa.:)

    ReplyDelete