Tuesday, May 29, 2012

tech savvy: wunderlist

Wunderlist is my new favorite app. Being a little type-A, I organize all the apps on my iPhone into tidy  folders, but Wunderlist is used so often that it has a special place on the home screen. As a byproduct of my type-A-ness (new word?) I am a total list lover. Full disclosure: I will sometimes add something I've already done to my list, just for the satisfaction of checking it off. I love to make lists on beautiful paper, but the reality is that on the road I usually lose track of that kind of thing.


I marginally used the reminder app on my phone, but for some reason I didn't find myself using it very often. Wunderlist, on the other hand, I use almost daily. It allows you to create multiple lists, each with their own tasks. When you complete a task, you still get the satisfaction of checking it off and seeing it listed as completed. You can create notes regarding tasks, set reminders, and share lists with others. The app syncs across your devices, which is really great for things like shopping lists I want to make on my laptop, but access on my phone when I get to the store. You can also choose from a few different themes to customize it and make it all pretty. I've been using it to organize blog post ideas, create shopping lists, organize meal options (and check them off when we've eaten them), and remind myself of things that need to get done while we're traveling. It's been really convenient to use, it's intuitive, and it's attractive. Wunderlist is available to download on iPhone, Android, iPad, Windows, and Mac OSX. Lately I feel like I have a million things to keep track of, and a serious case of "mom brain". Wunderlist has been super helpful in keeping track of things I would surely otherwise forget.

Are you a list lover like I am? Any other helpful apps I might be missing out on? I'd highly recommend checking out Wunderlist if you're looking for a list app!

Wunderlist has never heard of me and is not a sponsor of this post. I just love lists, for real.

3 comments:

  1. Great tip Jessa, and yes, I am a list lover. I wrote out my grocery "needs" this morning on the list magnetically attached to the fridge, then listed my items to do today, and then received my "honey do" list from my wife, and as always I write out and make playlists of my lists of my top songs and albums. I'm basically the John Cusack character in one of my top books of all-time, "High Fidelity" (although somewhat crass), which was made into a very funny movie.

    In both the book and movie, the character spoke about everything in "top 5 lists." I was debating over the weekend the top 5 Kenny Loggins songs not from a movie soundtrack. Tough one. Was able to come up with my top 5 songs: "Danny's Song," "Don't Fight It," "Heart To Heart," "Whenever I Call You Friend," and "House At Pooh Corner" ties with "Return To Pooh Corner." His top 5 songs from soundtracks however are quite plentiful :0).

    Have a great week!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listened to much Kenny Loggins..I'll have to make myself a playlist and get more familiar with his music! I also have not seen "High Fidelity", but I really love John Cusack as an actor. Maybe we'll have to have a (kid-free) movie night. :) I've heard/read that people who make lists are more likely to get things done, so I think there is actual science driving my slightly obsessive list making!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree that list making is productive. It's personal accountability to accomplish what you put in writing. Makes a lot of sense (at least to me ;o). "High Fidelity" is not at all a kid-friendly film with bad language and I like the book much better (as always), but John Cusack is fantastic in the movie and it also features Jack Black as a hysterical record store employee and Catherine Zeta-Jones as one of John Cusack's "top 5 break-ups of all-time." Certainly an appropriate movie for type A list-makers.

    As for Kenny Loggins, his top 5 soundtrack songs are "Footloose" from Footloose, "I'm Alright" from Caddyshack, "For The First Time" from One Fine Day, "Danger Zone" from Top Gun and "Meet Me Halfway" from Over The Top. He was the king of 80's movie soundtrack songs. I'd love to know what you think of "High Fidelity."

    Take care,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete